Thursday, November 18, 2010

If only.... really?

I heard something tonight that really.... for lack of better words, set me off. It was such a small thing, said jokingly, I think, but the words that were said have such huge meaning and I think they were completely overlooked.

"We'll pray for you."

"If only it was that easy."


REALLY???

It was said jokingly about about sopranos having to hold our breath longer than altos... but the response really got to me. Not a big deal thing, as far as what it was about... but suuuuch a huge thing to respond belittling prayer. It would be like responding to someone who offered to pray for God to do a miracle for you with, "If only it were that easy."

If only it were as easy as prayer. Well, guess what guys. It is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I love you. We just get each other. You're not alone. I would have been totally bothered if I had heard that too.

Prayer is such a sacred thing. Its how we communicate with God. Definitely something to NOT dumb down or toss off as "that thing we do when we want something."

I know I'm guilty of having the "If only it were that easy" attitude about prayer, but it sickens me. It sickens me when I see it in myself, in others, and especially when its vocalized.

Talking to God. HELLO?! Can you say a crazy priviledge?? When the one priest would be allowed to enter the Holy of Holies and communicate with God he would be fearful of His life. Have we really gotten so comfortable with prayer that its just a joke??

It makes me think of this sketch that Julian Smith did about prayer and how people pray out of obligation or hope that they'll get something, so casually rather than as though we're approaching the throne of God... WHICH WE DO EVERYTIME WE PRAY.

Ugh. Ok. Rant Over.


Love you. ;)

Jac Ann said...

Absolutely! I don't know why we didn't figure this out looooong ago. We are totally like-minded.

I get stuck in that rut too, where it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is. Like you mentioned, we get to talk TO God!! We don't have to go through anyone, we can talk to Him whenever, and how often do we? And then there are times when we joke about it? I do it too. I reeeeeeaallly wanted to say something tonight though. I just didn't want to interrupt choir or upset anyone. Not the time or place. I just couldn't believe it.

I've never been this kind of person, because I hate sticking out in the crowd, but I love seeing people get down on their knees when they pray or worship! When they actually act like they are in the presence of God, because the ARE!!! I want to be that person...... lift my hands, drop to my knees, lay prostrate, when worshiping and talking to my Savior and King!

I love you Courtney Renee. I love that you understand my rants. And join in. :D