Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"bad words"

I find it interesting that "stupid" is now considered a "bad word."

Actually, more like pathetic. Not because I think it is appropriate to call a person stupid, but because there are so many other words that are not bad words and have an equally devistating effect on a person.

I had 2nd graders today, and one wrote another a note saying that the person is stupid. And the one receiving it, of course, had to come tell on the first.

I do not remember a single time a kid called me stupid in my entire life. Does that mean they didn't? By no means. I am sure I was called stupid to my face as well as behind my back many times. What I do remember: fat, ugly, white girl, slow, cochina (actually very common in elementary school!), as well as many other words not in English.

But these aren't considered bad words. Why is that? Because the only thing that's not okay to say is Stupid. Apparently.

Pathetic.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

You are my hero! Thanks for bailing us out on Friday night. And tonight too!